Released and patented in 2008, Citra was developed (as a proprietary hop) by the Hop Breeding Company of Yakima, WA. It is a “hybrid hop” and made by combining the following hops:
- Hallertau Mittelfruh
- U.S Tettnanger
- East Kent Golding
- Brewer’s Gold hops
Citra hops are usually used for aroma and flavoring and are know for their prominent tropical fruit aromas and flavors, and is often used in with Mosaic and Simcoe due to somewhat similar fruitiness. Citra has also been featured as the sole hop in many Pale Ales and IPAs due to its flavor profile.
Sierra Nevada helped make this hop popular in 2009 when they dry hopped their Torpedo IPA. Ever since then its popularity has slowly expanded.
- Alpha acid levels: 10-13%
- Beta acid: 3.5%-4.5%
- Used mostly in:
- American Pale Ales
- American IPAs
- American Double IPAs
- Amber Ales
- Flavors: tropical fruits (lychee, guava, mango, melon, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime)
PA beer’s to try with Citra hops
- Summer Love from Victory Brewing Company
- Type A IPA from Conshohocken Brewing Company
- Hopgasm from Manayunk Brewing Co.
- Citrus IPA from Funk Brewing Co.
- The Shape of Hops to Come from Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co
- Hop-Lace Rivertowne Brewing Company
- All Seeing IPA from Crystal Ball Brewing Co.
- Chickity China The Chinese Chicken from Evil Genius Beer Company
- Paideia from St. Boniface Craft Brewing Co.